So you want to make exercise a part of your life? Maybe you have slipped out of our routine you had been in and now you are dragging your feet on getting back into the groove of working out again. Maybe you are new to making exercise a regular part of your life and need a few tips to get things going. Sometimes we just need a little jump start to get on track or maybe some tips for motivation.
Here are some useful ways to help to get in the exercise groove:
– Set a goal. Do you want to be able to run 3 miles, to bike 50 miles, to do 20 push ups, or do a pull up? Give yourself something to work towards. Make your goal reasonable. Once you achieve this one, set another one!
– Set a deadline for your goal. A great way to do this is by signing up for an active event. This can be a huge motivating factor when you know you have something coming up to train for. I remember many days that my motivation to get out there and really work was because I was training for an upcoming triathlon or event and I DID NOT want to be the last one finishing. If you aren’t ready to sign up for an event, set a personal deadline for your goal and stick to it. Once you have accomplished that goal, make a new one. There is no other feeling like the feeling of accomplishment and you will be excited to keep accomplishing!
– Have accountability. Have a blank calendar on the fridge and fill in what exercise you have done for that day. Look over the calendar at the end of the week to see how well you did that week. You will be able to look back and see where you have been and how far you have come. You will also want your calendar to be full instead of blank!
– Get healthy with people around you. Go for a jog with your friend, hit the gym together, go for a family bike ride, or get a smoothie together. We should be helping each other and when others know you are on a healthy path, you will inspire them!
– Find the exercise that works for you! This is a big one! Just because “Jo Schmo” is a runner doesn’t mean you have to be a runner! We are all different and will like different forms of exercise. Maybe biking, crossfit, dance, zumba, hiking, climbing, or pilates is more your style and that’s great. Just find what forms of exercise you love so you will enjoy it and look forward to doing it.
– Schedule your workouts like you would schedule anything else. Put it on your calendar and do not waver. You may need to wake up early before the day gets momentum; you may need to squeeze something in while the kids are napping, etc. Treat it like an important meeting with yourself and make it happen!
– Pay attention to how you feel after you exercise. Notice your energy level and your clarity of mind. Eventually this will be why you put on those work out shoes. Those happy endorphins released from physical activity are addicting!
– Treat yourself. Give yourself a reward when you have met a personal milestone. We are not talking an ice cream binge reward, but something like a new work out outfit, new shoes, a massage, or something else that you can reward yourself without “undoing” your hard work
Once you get into the groove, it is an awesome thing. You will work out because you know how good it makes you feel! Be consistent and you can get there!